Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Cali with the She-Folk

Disneyland has been dubbed the "happiest place on earth," and I would concur. What they don't mention in the propaganda-laden brochures and commercials is that the dynamic changes depending on whom you choose to cruise Walt's acreage with. Sean and I have taken the kids on various occasions and had a great time, but I must say the dynamic of cavorting at Disneyland for three days with my two beautiful daughters, my mom, my four little sisters and their collective five daughters was priceless. Our clan would have been a terrific fit for a B-rated Mastercard commercial.

Kate, Kalli and I flew into Sacramento and spent a day with my sister Becca and her family before we headed south to Anaheim to meet the rest of the crew.

While at Becca's we walked to a local farm and teased a few horses with carrots.

The carrots were also put to good use as weapons and alternative body parts before being fed to the stinky steeds.

Claire and Kalli. They were separated by two weeks at birth and a thousand miles as mini-mortals, but I suspect they share some kind of pre-life history as they are two goofballs from the same mold.
Becca and I loaded up the kids late Friday afternoon and drove to Anaheim. I loved just chatting with Bec in the car. She's one amazing mother and a truly morally-driven woman. I always come away inspired. Plus, she let me read all the road signs without a single complaint or comment about my weirdness!
Saturday morning we converged at the hotel in Anaheim and unloaded the 12-tons of snacks provided by mom, Tami and Debbie from Tam's car. I had the privilege of shacking up with Debbie and thoroughly enjoyed our late-night chats. She outlasted me the final night though. I fell asleep mid-sentence, she claims. Deb is such a tender heart and a fantastic mommy to her two beautiful girls.
Grandma and the girls. And the Webkinz. Grandma never can help but shower her grandkids with gifts.


Claire, Kalli and Macy. All lovers of animals, especially stuffed ones.


Cooling off (yes, it was hot!) in the astro-spray near Space Mountain. I was proud of my girls; there was no chickening out on rides whatsover! In fact, Kalli threw a hissy fit when we realized she was too short to ride the monster coaster, California Screamin'. I appreciate her bravery, but could have done without the hissy fit.

Kate and Savannah and their horses. No carrots required.

Victoria, sweet, Victoria. One morning she was found hiding in the bathroom where she had stomped a banana to death.
Victoria is the spitting image of her mama Tami at age two. And because I so easily remember sweet Tami at that age, I couldn't get enough of V. Even though Tami was the youngest of all the girls, she has always been so very wise, lovable and forgiving. For example, I used to pin her down and breath up her nose after dinner, and yet she still likes me.
Claire, Kalli and Macy. Clearly good friends. And photo-op hogs. :)


Victoria before we even got started. Obviously Disneyland has its entertainment limits for two-year-olds.

All the females, minus Mom. I wonder what the accumulative hormone level of this moment would have been...?

Someone had the right idea with the whole child prison thing. Lure them in and leave them while the moms enjoy a quiet lunch. :)

Seriously, who doesn't just love Goofy?

Kate on a hard plastic Minnie Mouse House bed. Sweet cousin Aislyn got injured jumping up on the couch, that's how hard it was. :)

The kids ditched Anna and I on the Gadget Go-Coaster. Anna has always had a flair for humor and a nose for good clean trouble. She has an alter-ego named Angelique that has provided plenty of entertainment over the years. She's a crazy-hard worker and an incredible mother from whom I've borrowed many a good idea. :)

Playing on Donald's Boat in Toon Town. I would love to live in Toon Town. You can just hose the whole place down and call it clean.

Kate and Kalli on Splash Mountain. I got this great shot by sitting in the front of the boat, which was a brave step for me. I've always been secretly afraid to sit in front, for fear of falling out at the monster waterfall plunge at the end. If there's someone else in front of me and they start to fall out, I could death-grip the safety handles while watching the sorry shmuck in front of me dive to their death. But hey, at least I'd be safe!

Mary Poppins tying Kalli's shoe. It's true; Mary won't stand for anything being out of order! I so need one of her at my house.

Even Burt showed up for the photo-op.

I must say, if there is any character at Disneyland that I'd want a picture with it would be Mary Poppins (Burt optional), and she'd be wearing this dress.
Look at my beautiful sisters and mama! I sometimes joke that I, being the oldest, was the beta version of the Houser girls. Ma and Pa worked out the snags on me, cuz the rest of the girls turned out so darn great!!!!

So here's a little Disney tip: If you stay late enough on a Monday night, people start ditching their rented strollers. We picked up extras for each of the girls (minus Kate; she's always been more of a stroller pusher than a stroller rider). Sure, we got a little wild and crazy but it was all in good fun until someone got hurt. Sorry Macy. :)
V waving to her fans. Or fightin' off sleep while spinning wildly on the Teacups.

We capped the whole trip off with a 10:30 take-out feast from The Cheesecake Factory. A true Houser girl hallmark.
The trip was a smashing success and my girls came home with wonderful memories of Grandma, aunts and cousins. I came away with a muffin top and a sunburn on my nose. :) J/K...I honestly savor these times together and am so grateful that Heavenly Father has blessed me with such amazing women in my life.
The cherry on top was bringing my mom home with me from Cali to spend an additional week with my family and I. We thoroughly enjoyed her company. She's an angel to have around; so easy-going and good natured. I feel especially blessed to have her as my mom and appreciate the time she took coming up for a visit. My boys both cried when she left yesterday.
My next blog post will be far less sappy and emotional. Unless I'm premenstrual.
Ta!

8 comments:

Jen said...

Wow! That trip looked so fun! I'll have to do something like that with our family. All the girls, what a great idea.

Kristen said...

I've missed your blog, but you have been busy. What an awesome trip. You are so lucky to have sisters and really appreciate them. That is one thing I love is that you appreciate everything.

Anna said...

Good times...but where are the employee outfits? I'm curious:)? Saving them for yourself? Enjoyed how you transferred the trip to your blog...mine is still hanging in my head...with lots of other random blogs.

Anonymous said...

What great picts. Looks like everyone had a great time. These will be great memories! What cute kids!..I particularly like my little grandbabies. Don't take me wrong, Becca, Tami, Anna, Debbie. I am just biased..I have cool grandkids, I must say.
It was nice all of you could take some time out and enjoy some "girl" time.
Susan sundwall

Sara said...

I'm so jealous, you and all your sisters are so cute and thin! And short sleeves. oh how I wish there wasn't 3 feet of snow in my front yard. Love all the photos, glad you are updating, girl. Miss you.

Heather M (SVSD) said...

You know, together we could come up with a pretty good "random" list of things we've done or do...like blowing up your sisters nose...
I used to do that to my dog. It would make her cheeks puff out:0

Susie said...

What a fun and awesome girls outing! I love all the photos too cute and fun. That will be a memory you will keep close to your heart for sure.

heidster said...

I'd love to go on a road trip with you! This looks like it was such fun....