Wednesday, November 5, 2008

God Bless America


I am far from politically-minded. I follow politics slightly better than I follow professional cricket rankings (cricket as in the sport, not the bug. I'm not aware there's any organized bug ranking system out there). That being said, because our country currently suffers on many fronts, I have followed this year's elections closer than I have those in the past. It's not surprising how seedy and skewed some of the details have been, not to mention the media's blatantly biased slant on issues that clearly promote their own motives. It is deflating at best to think that many voters followed their noses without doing any legitimate research or employing any personal reflection at all.

But I'm not that upset. When it's all said and done, I know that God is still in charge. And although we have our agency to do what we will here on earth, I believe in the goodness of our nation and the precepts upon which it was founded to begin with.

My immensely talented friend Thelma posted the following on her blog, and I had to quote her here because I could not have said it remotely as eloquently as she did, but I echo her sentiments word for word:

"I’m glad to live in a country where there’s a transfer of power with no guillotine involved. I’m glad to be in a country where everyone can vote…and a lot of people did. I’m glad to be in a country where the loser in a campaign gives a gracious concession speech and is applauded by the winner. I’m glad to be in a country where a race formerly thought sub-human in some corners is now represented in the highest office in the land. I don’t agree with his politics but like every other American who doesn’t agree, I’ll give him a chance. I’ll be free to have my own opinions and I’ll be free to speak freely about those opinions. And I’ll keep voting. What a country!"

God Bless America.

2 comments:

Kristen said...

Amen!!! Couldn't have said it better!

Unknown said...

I agree completely. Thanks for your thoughts, Mara. You express yourself so well. Miss you- Heidi