Tuesday, November 11, 2008

The Weekend News

Alas, November is nearing half completion and I am still writing October 2008 on everything. And I just realized I titled this blog "Weekend News" and its almost Wednesday of the next week. I think I'm inching toward senility; this aging thing bites.

Friday I had the chance to meet up with my good friend from college, Tami Smith. She's still as snappy and fun as ever. And she bought lunch, so that was a bonus. I'll buy next time, Tami. Just between all of you and me, it's actually a tactic I use to get people to hang out with me. I let them buy first, then they're sure to call again because I owe them lunch. That ensures I have a friend for at least two lunch dates before I scare them off and never see them again. :)

Tami is one of those brave people who will ask the lady at the next table to take a picture for her. Then I go to Tami's blog and steal the picture. Because I'm one of those people whose too chicken to ask the lady at the next table to take a picture for me!



Saturday was Tanner's last soccer game (boo/hooray). The seasons get longer as the kids get older. I intentionally don't practice soccer with him because if he gets really good he moves up to select soccer, which is ten months out of the year. It's embarrassing to admit that I encourage mediocrity in my children, but my defense is that over time I might develop hostile feelings tward a coach who gets to spend more time with my kid than I do.

Tanner had a great season. He's a plucky little forward and is quick on his feet. Kudos to Dale, Susan and Sommer for joining us for the last game.

Saturday afternoon Sean and I took the kids to Gig Harbor to watch the first high school playoff game. We had dinner at Red Robin, which I think has become a family favorite due to the bottomless fries and freaky wall apparel. Tucker can sit for long periods and stare at all the wacky pictures. We usually find something to chat about if conversation runs dry. Which, if you know my kids, isn't very often.

The real reason for driving through Seattle area traffic and well over an hour to Gig Harbor was three-fold. My boys love football, I've always secretly wanted to pay a toll of $4 to cross the Narrows Bridge, and two of my three Mia Maids were participating at the game. Not IN the game, mind you, as that would be somewhat distressing for me to watch. I have issues with girls in helmets (it's a sensitive subject :).

The football game was great in that it seemed to provide a much needed anger outlet for a large number of pubescent boys in white spandex, as well as the opportunity to watch Tori, our sports med tech in training, and Meg, our cutie-pants cheerleader, in action. I was actually close enough to the field to overhear some of the comments and dialogue. See picture captions below.

"Hey. You. Suck it up and get back out there."




"It's still attached to your body so it can't hurt that bad. Get back out there."



"Hey, get back here and drink your Gatorade. Then get back out there."


"Rah rah rah, kick 'em in the jaw..." Wow. I can't believe they're still recycling that same old cheer.
I love these girls. They're good kids and a truckload of fun. Incidentally, they reminded me last night that I'm old enough to be their mother. At times like this I have an overpowering urge to put them in a headlock and give them a giant noogie.
Sadly I just realized I haven't taken pictures of my kids in, like, two whole weeks. I'm now crippled with guilt and must go find some chocolate. Nite.

5 comments:

Heather M (SVSD) said...

So THAT'S the secret to getting a lunch date with you! All along, I thought it was just me:( OK, I'm kidding, and I feel privileged that I'm the first to comment on this entry. No wonder the YW enjoy having you around:)

Sara said...

Mara, you were my midmorning entertainment! Now i can be happy and silently chuckle through the rest of my day. Love ya.

Melanie said...

Your posts always crack me up. I can totally see Tori saying those things. Thanks for sharing!

Bailey Bunch said...

Way to post the young women in all their glory. I bet they will love those pictures!:) You always keep me entertained with your blog!:) Love ya!

Tami said...

It was so fun seeing you! I could have talked with you all day. You are so much fun! I didn't realize that you work with the MiaMaids. So do I. Fun, fun. Give me a call next time you are over this way.