
Curran is my hero. I think of him every day. This little guy never spoke a word. He never offered sage advice, never uttered a comforting word to soothe a hurting heart, never told a joke to coerce a smile and never complained about his many discomforts.
I learned so much from a baby boy I only met a few times. I learned that the eyes are not only the window to the soul, but the porthole through which strength drawn from a Higher Power is passed on to those whom we love. I learned that comfort can come from the tender touch of a tiny hand that knows much of pain. I learned that a smile (and man, could this little guy smile!) can say so many things all at once that words can never capture, and that true happiness is found amidst the pain. And I learned that our lives touch the lives of others every day, in ways we will never, in this life, comprehend.
Curran, you touched my life. And your wonderful, beautiful saint of a mother is a constant model of dignity and compassion and I am so grateful she shared you with me through her words and her tears. We will never, never forget you, Curran, our "Smiling Hero" and Superman. I love you.
WE LOVE YOU!
9 comments:
What a little angel! Such a great reminder of what's really important! I'm sure he loved all his birthday mail:)!
I love this post! It brought tears to my eyes. He is the cutest little thing. I have to admit I read and prayed so much for little Curran through his web site. I'll never forget him. I think of your wonderful sister and think she is such a strong woman having gone through losing a child. I really admire her! She doesn't know me but I do think of her family a lot. I can't believe it's been 3 years!
What a tender, sweet thing to do. Your post touched my my heart tonight (unlike the laundry pile underneath it, which by the way I hate to tell you you lost!) but seriously, what a compliment from above to your sister and her husband because it's clear that anyone who is dealt those cards in life are truly chosen ones.
Wow, what a great way to celebrate and remember your little nephew. We lost a little one as well in our family and I think we will adopt your tradition. You are such an amazing mom and example -- plus you are tons of fun!!! Miss you.
Thank you for writing this nice post. Sometimes being reminded of things like this are just what we need to appreciate life even with all of the bumps. I love your writing.
Love Thelma
Mara, what a wonderful tribute to Curan. Such a precious little boy and what a cheery little face. Your words, as usual, were poetic and inspiring. What a wonderful way to celebrate his birthday with colorful balloons reaching the sky.
It's hard to believe it's been 3 years, and what a sweet way to remember him:)
I'm wondering how Kate made herself look like an alien behind that balloon??? (or is that sean?)
That is a really special post about your nephew and I think it is very neat that you guys pay tribute to him every year. Babies who are born with rare conditions and not healthy are true examples of miracles and love. Thanks for sharing!:)
What a sweet post and great idea to send off balloons.
Post a Comment