I've had several alarming reminders the past few days that my Katelyn is growing up. Which means that I, subsequently, am freaking out.
A few nights ago Kate and I took the dog for a walk and as we were talking, she slipped her hand into mine. Something felt strange, and I pulled our interlocked hands up for a better look; her hands are almost the same size as mine.
I found Kate rummaging through my drawers on Sunday. When I asked what she could possibly be looking for, she said she needed to borrow a camisole to go under her dress. I snickered and said, "Sweetie, it won't fit." Alas, it did.
This past weekend a friend of mine asked if she could "hire" Katelyn to be her Mother's Helper once a week; essentially to come to her house and entertain her daughter and do some menial chores. That sounds suspiciously a lot like a job to me. Kate happily accepted.
Yesterday Katelyn drowned herself in a book for hours. She found me in the kitchen before bed, her eyes twinkling (and she has very twinkly eyes to begin with!), and rattled off the plot and some funny lines from the book. "You have to read it, Mom," she said. So when she went to bed I picked it up and flipped through it. It looked intriguing. It's a strange thing when your kid asks you to read a book that you might actually get into!
Last night I went to take the dog out to the bathroom and it had rained, so I slipped on a pair of shoes in the dark garage. I didn't notice until I was outside that I was wearing Kate's new flip flops and they fit.
I know, I know, you're thinking, "Get over it. Kids grow up every day," and you're correct. But not my kids! It serves as a sobering reminder to me that my time with them is short and that I only get one chance. It also serves as a reminder, on those days when I feel sudden urges to wring a neck or two, that they're necks won't always be within such close wringing proximity!!
A few nights ago Kate and I took the dog for a walk and as we were talking, she slipped her hand into mine. Something felt strange, and I pulled our interlocked hands up for a better look; her hands are almost the same size as mine.
I found Kate rummaging through my drawers on Sunday. When I asked what she could possibly be looking for, she said she needed to borrow a camisole to go under her dress. I snickered and said, "Sweetie, it won't fit." Alas, it did.
This past weekend a friend of mine asked if she could "hire" Katelyn to be her Mother's Helper once a week; essentially to come to her house and entertain her daughter and do some menial chores. That sounds suspiciously a lot like a job to me. Kate happily accepted.
Yesterday Katelyn drowned herself in a book for hours. She found me in the kitchen before bed, her eyes twinkling (and she has very twinkly eyes to begin with!), and rattled off the plot and some funny lines from the book. "You have to read it, Mom," she said. So when she went to bed I picked it up and flipped through it. It looked intriguing. It's a strange thing when your kid asks you to read a book that you might actually get into!
Last night I went to take the dog out to the bathroom and it had rained, so I slipped on a pair of shoes in the dark garage. I didn't notice until I was outside that I was wearing Kate's new flip flops and they fit.
I know, I know, you're thinking, "Get over it. Kids grow up every day," and you're correct. But not my kids! It serves as a sobering reminder to me that my time with them is short and that I only get one chance. It also serves as a reminder, on those days when I feel sudden urges to wring a neck or two, that they're necks won't always be within such close wringing proximity!!
6 comments:
Mara- Here teeth are all in and are all so straight! I know it's a weird observation of Kate's picture, and I didn't mean to point out another "growing up" quality, but she is sure beautiful! Savannah logs on daily to look at her pretty cousin and is always trying to copy. Wish there were more good examples for her on a daily basis like your kate. Love you-
Becca
I've been feeling the same way about Sacoya, it's so hard to let them grow up, and when they start asking to borrow stuff, you look at them like who are you and where is my little girl! And you are right, Katelyn is looking so grown up and so beautiful.
like I keep saying, you'll have to lock up that cute girl in a couple years. She's so darling. Can't wait to have that mother/daughter bond with Sagie!
You know I would be freaking out too...what am I saying, I am already freaking out and my oldest is only in 1st grade! Luckily you have done a great job preparing her for this next stage in life. She is so strong and confident!
Love ya-Heather
Mara I completely agree! Where has the time gone? I could swear she grows a whole foot every time I see her. She is such a beautiful young lady.
that last post was from shelby! Sorry im logged in under garrett.
Post a Comment