Sunday, May 9, 2010

A Mother's Day Reminder to Myself

Today is Mother's Day 2010. It's been the best Mother's Day I've ever had. In retrospect, I believe perhaps it's been the best because of the dichotomy between yesterday and today.

Yesterday was not my best "mother's" day. I was completely out of sync. I fully admit it; there was major mental drama going on in my head. While the reasons for such unscrupulous instability are not fully clear to me, by the end of the day I had myself in such a maternal frenzy that I was almost completely paralyzed by the fear that I would be the sole cause of any and every snag my children will encounter in mortality. You can imagine how exhausted I was by bedtime. Spending an entire day convincing yourself you're a diabolical wreck is very draining.

This morning I woke to a sense of foreboding, yesterday's sentiments still lingering in the shadows of sleep. I immediately decided I was not going to allow my own fears to ruin a perfectly good Mother's Day. After a hearfelt prayer I dove headfirst into another day of motherhood.

And it was a wonderful day. It began with breakfast in bed and gifts and cards, then a 2-mile family hike on a gloriously sunny, warm day. We made it on time to church with four kids bathed, clothed and all shoes on their feet before we pulled into the parking lot. After church Sean and the kids made me dinner while I played the piano for an hour. We then hit the park. Afterward it was home for ice cream and family home movies.

Watching movies of my kids half of their own lifetimes ago struck me like an electric current. We haven't pulled out the videos in quite awhile, so their miniature "previous" selves were a curious, nostalgic reminder of what I'm really trying to accomplish as a mother.

These children are my life, but they are not just mine. I know they were Heavenly Father's long before they were sent to me. I am humbled by the trust He has placed in Sean and myself to raise them in a way that will gently steer them back to Him. I am grateful, so very grateful for the opportunity to know them, to wake up every day to the promise that if I do all I can, I can spend forever in their presence.

Yesterday I was afraid. Afraid that I won't be enough, won't know enough, won't care enough to make a difference in the lives of those I love the most. And I was right: I'm not enough. Not on my own. I recognize the need for my Heavenly Father's love and direction, and perhaps most importantly, the need to trust Him in His infinite wisdom to know what's best for those that I am not capable of loving the way He loves.

So I am taking this opportunity to remind myself that I am not the only one with a vested interest in the outcome of my efforts in regard to my children. I can do anything with the help of my Heavenly Father.

General Patton once said, "Courage is fear holding on a minute longer." My Mother's Day wish is to mold my fears into the courage necessary to be the best mother I can be.

May the shadow of my love linger always in the lives of my children.





7 comments:

Sara said...

So beautifully said, my heart longs to be near my sweet friend.

Mom-entarily Out of Order said...

Uh Mara, you're missing an arm in your photo, is there something you want to share with us?

Simon Tribe -ooh ha haa said...

Oh, Mara. I appreciate you sharing your personal thoughts and desires because they are so inspirational and they bring tears to my eyes. You have such a grand and humble perspective on life. Your sincere desire to be the best mother you can be is what makes it happen. You are amazing. :-) Love ya!

heidster said...

OK, I was going to write some thoughts on Mother's Day and you said it beautifully right here. Thanks for inviting me into your life!

Thelma said...

Now I'm crying. That was wonderful put Mara. I usually think I'm the only one who feels so woefully inadequate. Thanks for the reminder that yes, I am inadequate but I have access to someone that is not.

I miss you!

(and I'm glad you invited me)

Laurie said...

ok, can I just cut and paste your entry and post it as my mother's day entry? Well said, but what more could we expect from you?!?! Love the closing photo. Those tender moments speak louder than anything. thanks for hanging with me today!!! :)

Colette said...

Just read your post... totally lifted my day. :)