Thursday, April 8, 2010

Nature's great analogies

Spring weather in Seattle is antithetical to predictability.

Case in point, we awoke this morning to an inch of snow and experienced additional snow showers, several hailstorms, some wind and occasional sunbreaks throughout the day. If Mother Nature's seasons were aligned with human emotional disorders, I'd say spring is her bipolar persona with all it's fickle, erratic behavior.

Last Friday I had to make a trip to Seattle amidst some heavy winds and turbulent rain showers. Upon my return, traffic was incredibly slow making its way onto the I-90 floating bridge, but I thought it was well worth the wait. The view was impressive.

The dissimilarity between the waves crashing over the roadway on the south side of the bridge and the calm waters on the north side provided a contradictory distinction. It's amazing what a little protection from the wind and the waves can do, not only for the waters, but for the soul. I'm grateful for the spiritual barriers in my life, namely scripture study and prayer, that protect me from turbulence and provide peace and hope.


As I continued up I-90, a tree fell across the highway about 100 yards ahead of me. Luckily, no one was directly in it's path when it fell, but as you can see it was the cause of much braking and re-routing.

If I could only be so quick to recognize and correct my own course accordingly when life's proverbial road blocks occur. I'm grateful for the Holy Ghost to guide me; I'd never make it on my own.



All things considered, I'm glad Mother Nature's a bit moody this time of year. Through her many subtle lessons, she provides a gracious reminder to me of how much I need to be prepared.

4 comments:

Melanie said...

Love your thoughts, Mara! Such cool photos, too. Glad the tree didn't fall on you :);

Mom-entarily Out of Order said...

Hey I must have passed you on the freeway because I was headed into Seattle and saw that tree down (thank was thankful that I wasn't headed eastbound). :-)

Colette said...

Great pictures - the waves crashing on one side and calm on the other. Love the parallel you drew from that, awesome. Great to find you again!

Simon Tribe -ooh ha haa said...

Preparation goes a long way, it's true. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and analogies. Love ya!