Tuesday, March 9, 2010

What I love

In the bizarre mix of life, often a potpourri of illustrations surpasses mundane explanation.

Here are a few of the quirky things I love:

#1: I love the chaotic combo of kids and cameras. Invariably, after photographing everything from knee caps to raw blue sky, they turn the camera on themselves. The resulting spontaneous self-portraits are often better at catching a child's true character than the keen eye of a master photographer.

Andrew Lewis hamming it up with Tanner in the background.


Katelyn's self-portrait, taken while modeling the boys' new baseball helmet. Look at those eyes...


Kalli (with tongue in deep-concentration mode), a camera, a mirror and fingers in a peace sign. Enough said.


#2: I love the perpetual motion of small bodies (okay, I love it before 8pm. After that it drives me to expose my mommy claws).

Kalli, Cassidy and Erin rocking out in swimsuits and pj bottoms.


#3: I love little bodies that are still young enough to freeze when an adult, in an authoritative voice, yells "FREEZE!"


#4: I love being on the "adult side" of a middle school science project. I offered many words of encouragement but zero help. Sweet justice. I hated middle school science.
Poor Johanna was going nuts. Hence the crazy shaking.

A short break from the insanity of science for another self portrait. Or is that "selfs" portrait?


#5: I love a boy who weighs only slightly more than the pack he is carrying for his first Boy Scout campout.

That's first Boy Scout campout. Cub Scouts was soooo last year.


#6: I love that my kids are not too old for slides...

...or too old to take a shortcut back up to the top!







#7: I love that Kalli made the family wait to start the game until she was ready. By ready I assume she meant cranally swathed in bubble wrap, a towel and a piece of curling ribbon.


#8: I love that to kids, most everything is multi-purpose. Bubble wrap indeed does makes an excellent (and audible) kitchen rug.




#9: I love that I spontaneously checked the odometer at just the right moment. I have eagerly been anticipating the 100,000 mile mark on my Sequoia for weeks!





#10: I love that there is no law stating that you have to buy the generic pictures taken of every team in every sports league your child will ever play in. I love that you can line the team up yourself against a wall and ask them to be themselves and the result is 100 times more authentic.
Tucker's 4th grade basketball team, with Coach Dad.


#11: I love that my son will still smile at me upon request, even when I'm holding a camera and even when his friends are watching.




#12: I love that the very first thing my kids wanted to do when we returned from Germany was have their dad open his birthday gifts that they had bought for him.

#13: I love the freckle on the tippy-top of Tucker's left ear. I stared at it with laser focus while trying to not barf as the doctor stitched up the wound incurred by a random windowsill in the boys' bedroom.
We've decided as a family that there is a reason we do not wrestle past the hour of 9pm. Late night emergency room visits make for uncomfortable stitches and sleepyheads the next morning.


#14: I love that my kids can stand entranced for ten minutes while watching a gorilla eat it's excrement but cannot stand for ten seconds while I do their hair.




#15: I love Tanner's love of maps.


#16: I love Tucker and Kalli's love of small spaces. And dirt. And bugs.


#17: I love random nature humor. Like this river otter smashing face first into the glass partition. I love even more that Katelyn caught it on camera.




#18: I love wide-eyed wonder. Like when you get to be a human bird feeder and a bird actually lands on you.




#19: I love that the smallest things can give children the greatest joy. Tanner literally can't wait for summer 2010, because that's when the meerkats make their debut at Woodland Park Zoo.

#20: I love that God has given us the gift of love, with all it's many amazing applications.

7 comments:

The Siple Family said...

What a wonderful post but #14 gross!

Melanie said...

Awesome, Mara! You inspire me with your LOVE :)

Mom-entarily Out of Order said...

I loved Sean's face while holding his Red Robin gift card. Do they have anything on their menu that he deems healthy enough to eat? :-) I LOVED your post and your humor and your love of your family.

Susie said...

I love your "Love List" very great things to love. The pictures of all of you are great. It is crazy how fast your kids are growing up so fast. There at a fun age though!!

Sara said...

Priceless......

Laurie said...

Love this post!!! We've spent many hours at that slide park in the highlands. I'm thinking there is something to that bubble mat floor mat...possibly massaging feet while doing dishes? and poor Tucker...that darn window sills..who do they think they are ramming into our heads like that???

Simon Tribe -ooh ha haa said...

I love it all! You have the most expressive and adorable children. I love Tucker's smile!