Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Boys' Week Part III

The final day of Boys' Week found us up and out early, headed for Rimrock Adventures. We started with a horseback ride down through the redrock canyons. The boys warmed up to the donkeys quite nicely, and were saddened when informed that we'd be riding horses instead.


You know, I'd say Tanner just might be part Indian. Look at the resemblance. :)


This is the guide giving strict instructions to the boys regarding their horses. The lecture ended with this: "Now if your horse stops, it's probably because he needs to take a leak or a crap. Let him be. You don't move when you're using the toilet, do ya?" Wise words from a weathered professional.

Notice that my horse is the best looking. Palaminos are the bomb.

Hittin' the dusty trail.


This was no flat ride. Tanner's horse was a pain in the hoochie and wouldn't budge at this point, so he ended up getting towed behind the guide with a lead rope.


Bo and Trev and their trusty steads, whom I believe the boys renamed Kevin and Larry.

After a great trail ride, the boys suited up for a raft trip down the Colorado River.

While waiting for another boat to launch into the river, the boys entertained themselves by ramming full-speed into each other, body-slam style.
The facial expressions are priceless.



The crew.


Trevor was approximately this close to me most of the day. We're tight now. :) Apparently he has a soft spot for "hobos."

Bo was the first one in...

Do you even know how tempted I was to push all five overboard? I exhibited some serious self-control.


The boys all jumped in and tagged along hanging on to the side ropes. The water was cold and fast-flowing, so no one braved immersion for long. Gramps and I opted out entirely. :)


The trip culminated in a water fight, complete with 13-year-old Emma, who started out shy but was easily warmed up by sweet-talkin' Trevor. The boy obviously has three older sisters!

After the raft trip, we stopped for lunch at Wendy's, de-bugged my windshield, and headed up to Colorado National Monument.

Tucker climbing around on the rocks at Colorado National Monument. A truly breathtaking view from the roads and trails; the landscape is amazing. I was driving, making it difficult to take too many pics. Visit it yourself if your interested.
After the monument tour we stopped at yet another dinosaur-dig hill, where the boys worked off any possible energy they had left.

Sawyer lovin' the outdoors after a brief nap in the car.

Return to rock/lizard exploration at Riggs' Hill. Three of the five boys chose the same protruding rock to relieve themselves on at the same time. True prepubescent male bonding.

Tanner and Sawyer sporting their "fossil" finds.

After a trek to the top, the clan looked like wandering mountain goats on their descent.
We then headed home for a dip in the hot tub and dinner for the boys (and nap for Grandpa) before Grandma and I took off to do some shopping and have dinner at Chili's. Grandpa took the boys to the middle school for peewee Olympic events, which reportedly went well, but because I was miles away there are no pictures!!!
Tomorrow morning we're off to SLC and eventually the family reunion at Bear Lake.
I must say that I have thoroughly enjoyed my time with these five little men. They are all sweet, sensitive and FUNNY boys.
G'nite!

5 comments:

Laurie said...

ugh Mara, in regards to the raft trip, what color is that water? Seriously, it looks like they are rafting down a river of choc. pudding! But it does look fun!!! :)

Sara said...

3 post in less than a week! I'm totally jumping for joy. So fun of your parents to do such fun things with the"boys". Did I hear you say Utah? O ya baby.

Jen said...

What is boys week? Is it just a family thing? Whatever it is, it looks fun and I would like to hear more about it. Since I have three boys of my own! They would love this.

Susie said...

What a fun and adventurous boys outing!! Fun memories built for sure. Love it!!

Susan S said...

Wow! looks like the kids are going to have a hard time coming back home. They have had adventure after adventure. What memories for their journals.
Susan S